Strange anomaly in the WTA ranking of Barty, Osaka & Williams!
Naomi Osaka ranking vs Ashleigh Barty’s ranking
Naomi Osaka has just captured her 2nd Australian Open and fourth career slam. The Japanese champion exhibited remarkable and solid tennis and she is widely deemed to be the face of WTA tennis and the player to beat.
Naomi stands at 2 slams right now and for some bizarre reasons, she is rated only no.2 in the world after Ashleigh Barty who has yet to get a major title to her name. The Australian Ashleigh Barty, in the last year and a half, won just 2 minor titles: one in Adelaide and the Yarra Classic in Melbourne
The justification for this inconsistency is that the WTA decided to protect the rankings because of the pandemic, which made a case for good judgment only until a certain point. But now with the 2021 season underway, it doesn’t seem to reflect the true picture. Fans would like to see the a re-rating based on actual achievements of the players. However, the Women’s Tennis Association have not indicated anything to that effect. On the other hand, the men’s ranking seem to portray the right order.
Serena Williams’ ranking
The American superstar didn’t manage to win the 2021 version of the Australian Open and she bowed down in the semifinal to Naomi Osaka. After her current run, she is back in the top10 to be ranked no.7.
Hashtags: #NaomiOsaka #SerenaWilliams #AshBarty
- French Open 2021 Worldwide TV Coverage
- Garbiñe Muguruza Thigh Injury Haunts Her in Madrid
- Madrid Open without Serena Williams Leads to Favourites Shuffle
- Muguruza abandons her second match in Charleston due to a leg injury
- Barty and Andreescu first career meeting in Miami final | Both players in peak form
- Muguruza meets aggression with aggression to take down Sabalenka